A license must be obtained from the Minister for Internal Affairs and Communications in order to establish a radio station.
But extremely low power radio stations and specified radio stations operating for a certain purpose and using radio equipment under certain conditions do not require a license.
The following radio stations do not require a license.
- Radio stations operating with extremely low power of emission
Radio stations operating with extremely low power of emission as specified in the ministerial ordinance of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications. These include radio communication devices to operate model toys and wireless microphones.
- Citizen radio stations
Radio stations that operate in the frequency band of 26.9MHz and 27.2MHz with antenna power of 0.5 watts or less as specified in the applicable ministerial ordinance of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, and have obtained the Technical Regulations Conformity Certification.
- Radio stations with low antenna power
Radio stations such as cordless phones, low radio data communication systems, 5.2GHz High-Power data communication sysytems mobile land stations, digital cordless phones, PHS mobile land communications,electronic toll collection (ETC) mobile land stations, wireless card systems, Specified low-power radio stations that operate under certain circumstances for a specific purpose and fulfill all of the following conditions.
- Antenna power of 0.01 watts or less.
- Use of radio type and frequency as specified in the ministerial ordinance of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications.
- Automatically sends or receives call signs or call names and does not disturb the operations of other radio stations.
- Only uses radio equipment with the Technical Regulations Conformity Certification.